Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog just starts panting randomly, can barely walk, is

Customer Question

My dog just starts panting randomly, can barely walk, is very restless, and out of nowhere will start whining as if in pain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We've had issues with fleas and I have been using a watered down mix of essential oils to help combat them. Tea tree, citronella, rosemary, peppermint, and eucalyptus oil. 5 drops each per one cup water plus.I also checked him for spider bites but couldn't find anything. Yesterday he was favoring his front left leg but couldn't find anything wrong with it.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This may be a flea allergy dermatitis causing these issues. Flea allergies can lead to fevers, skin lesions and discomfort. The discomfort can cause the panting you're seeing. It may also be a fever and some type of infectious or auto-immune condition. If you can check a rectal temperature, that would help. Normal is 100-102. If > 103, then that could explain some of the issues.

If you want to try some Benadryl to see if that helps, you may get some relief for him. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

Here is a nice link on combating flea infestations to read over with more info on how to help:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3237

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?