Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have an 11 month old lab, Ollie, who is obviously always

Customer Question

I have an 11 month old lab, Ollie, who is obviously always very active and hyper. He stopped eating dinner last night and breakfast today. He's hardly moving around and when he does he walks and just stands there and stares straight ahead. He also won't jump on any furniture. We took him to the vet today and he had a bit of a fever so they just gave use some medicine for that but that was almost a day ago and we haven't seen any progress and my family is worried about him. Any suggestions or possible diagnoses?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like he is going to need more of a work up. I would try to get some bloodwork on him as soon as you can. A young lab that is not eating is always concerning. The bloodwork should help determine if it looks like something infectious and also rule out organ disease with the kidneys or liver.

I would also make sure they do a good neuro exam on him. I would really want to pay special attention to his neck. If it hurts to turn the neck to the sides or stretch it up or down, then I would call this meningitis until proven otherwise. There is a condition called steroid responsive meningitis-arteritis that we see in young dogs. Boxers are the most common breed, but I have seen it in a lot of other medium to large breed dogs. The treatment is with fairly high doses of Prednisone and then tapering slowly over weeks.

Here's a good link on the condition:

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.