Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog ingested 100 mg. of lamictal. She is 12 lbs so it was

Customer Question

my dog ingested 100 mg. of lamictal. She is 12 lbs so it was 18.75 mg/kg. I called the poison hotline and got her to ER vet within 1 hour. Because she has heart murmur but undiagnosed mitral valve disease they didn't induce emesis. She was fine when I called 2 hours and 15 minutes later. She died 27 minutes after this. help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what 2 ate?
Customer: yes, 100 mg. of lamigotrine
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about 2?
Customer: lamictal she died
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She was asymptomatic when we left her at vet. Arrived home 15 minutes later and called to report her medication dosage and was told she was fine. 27 minutes later was called and said she vomited and died. No heart monitor, no emesis inducing substances.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.

That dose is really not all that high where I would expect significant signs, let alone dying. The LD50 (dose where 50% die) is 200 mg/kg. > 20 mg/kg we can see moderate to severe signs, but they are usually self limiting and resolve with symptomatic care.

I would wonder whether she ingested more than one tablet or if she actually went into congestive heart failure or had a ruptured chordae in the heart that holds the valves in place. In one of those situations we could see death fairly quickly.

You did everything you were supposed to. I'm so sorry for the outcome. I'm sure the vet you had her at is also upset and second guessing what happened.