Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My pitbulll she's a little over a year old. About 2 hours

Customer Question

Hey my pitbulll she's a little over a year old. About 2 hours after she ate she thrown up everything in her stomach for about 10-15 min. She was licking convulsing her throat sorta without gagging. She relaxed drank some water quick it looked like , thrown up some more and then stopped just looked tired. About an hour later she thrown up again and I'm worried don't know if I should rush her to the doggy hospital. Right now she isn't throwing up . Also no diarrhea or anything like that. All day she seemed fine also.. Very concerned thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you explain what you mean that she was licking convulsing her throat?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Is she back to normal now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She was constantly licking her lips and her throat was constantly moving up and down you could see it from her neck. That was happening in between regurgitating. She's about 60 lbs and she thrown up about 15 mins ago looked like water or bile. She's just tired now it looks like. Not gagging at the moment

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She through up straight dog food at first so I don't think she got into anything no mess or anything showing she got into anything. And they are pink they don't look pale really

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit this evening I would have her checked by ER veterinarian otherwise follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here is the gums

Her gums look fine, thank you for the picture.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I understand it's just tricky cause she never done this before. When I was trying to take the pictures she starting gagging a little but no dry heaves or anything . Just real weird situation

If she continues to dry heave and vomiting I would have her checked by ER veterinarian. Otherwise follow the above recommendations.

Please reply if you have additional questions.