PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

He vomited one day ago, no vomit yesterday, and now he has

Customer Question

Hello. He vomited one day ago, no vomit yesterday, and now he has thrown up today all food. He also has had very loose stool and today it is finally starting to become whole again. I have dewormed him for 3 days per instructions. He also had his shots yesterday. He is 6 weeks old. Very sleepy, will eat and drink water. Run around outside and play for a short period. I just want to know if there is anything I can do to help him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He seems normal to me besides the vomiting and the diarrhea. He plays and drinks plenty of water. Could it just be the worm medicine that is making his sick? Does he sleep a lot because he is so young?
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When did the deworming begin, before or after the vomiting?
2) Who vaccinated him? Your vet?

3) What vaccines were received? Was the vet aware that vomiting had occurred prior to vaccines?
4) Was a fecal exam performed?
5) Any blood in the diarrhea?
6) Any changes in food?
7) How long have you had him?
8) What breed is he?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The deworming began before he vomited. I vaccinated him with Spectra 6, in the store that I purchased the shots so there was no way of the virus getting warm and not working. The vaccines were: Canine Distemper-Adenovirus Type 2-Parainfluenza-Parvovirus Vaccine killed antigens of Canine Coronavirus Vaccine Modified Live Virus Preservatives: Gentamicin and thimerosal. No blood in his diarrhea or vomit. He went straight from his mother's milk on to Purina puppy chow dry food, then I feed him Purina Pro Plan lamb and rice dry food, then he has had 4health wet food cause he was not eating the pro plan. I have had him 4 days. He is a pit bull. Weighs 6 pounds and is around 6 weeks.

The most important things to know are the following:

1) The dewormer very well could be causing the vomiting and diarrhea.

2) The vaccines aren't likely to do much good for him since we try to avoid vaccinating a puppy that shows any signs of being unwell.

3) It's very difficult to know if he's having any reaction to the vaccine or just the dewormer because of the timeline with him being vaccinated while feeling ill.

4) Pitbulls are at higher risk for problems because the tend to have weaker immune systems. This goes for many bully breed dogs, unfortunately.

At his age, we must also be worried about parvo, distemper, corona virus, etc. causing the symptoms that you're seeing. There are so many factors playing in here (age, symptoms, dewormer, vaccines) that it's nearly impossible to determine what is the biggest factor.

Fortunately, there are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours. As well, if the symptoms persist, diagnostics like blood work, a fecal exam, parvo test, etc. will be necessary. Once his stool is normalized, you an slowly switch him back over to the food that he will eat. Make sure at 6 weeks of age that you're either offering him soften puppy chow or canned food.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.