Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

Ghello, Hel my dog is a rescue and she shakes like a leaf

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Hel my dog is a rescue and she shakes like a leaf every time there is crazy thunder and rain which is what we have now in Brooklyn New York
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I suffer from anxiety and I have Klonopin but I don't know if it is safe for dogs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is a perfectly healthy four yearr old red nose pitbull
JA: How old is Bella?
Customer: Because she is a rescue I'm not sure what she went through before we got her so she may be traumatized by Thunder
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I noticed you asked for a phone call and unfortunately I am not set up to take phone calls at this time. I am more than happy to help you via this chat thread though.

Klonopin or clonazepam as is it known by its generic name is ***** ***** very often in dogs, however I did find dose in Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook of 0.1 – 1 mg/kg by mouth once as needed or twice daily. This translates to about 0.05mg to 0.5mg per pound. That being said, however we rarely use this medication in dogs and it has the potential to cause side effects such as excitability, sedation, or ataxia (trouble walking). Other side effects that may be possible usually come with longer term use. There are other drugs that are approved for use in dogs and one new one is called Sileo (dexmedetonidine oral gel). This is available by prescription only from your vet and has been developed as a product that can be used for dogs that experience noise aversion. This is a veterinary approved product and is specifically for your dog's problem. I recommend discussing this with your veterinarian. Trazodone is another medication that I have personally used for anxiety in dogs and this works quite well, especially in conjunction with other methods of calming.

Other things that can be done to help an anxious dog include wearing a specially designed shirt called a thunder shirt. This is designed to be snug and to reduce anxiety by causing the release of calming neurotransmitters and giving your dog a sense of security. These are available at pet stores and online in different sizes for different sized dogs.

You can also try a holistic product called Rescue Remedy. This is a bach flower essence that can be used as needed to provide a calming feeling and reduce situational anxiety. This can be ordered online or is available in certain health food stores.

There is a product called DAP which stands for dog appeasing pheremone and this is the chemical that mothers produce to tell their puppies that they are safe. This comes in a spray or in a collar that can be worn to help your dog feel safe.

In the meantime, if you have an area of the house such as a basement that is quieter, I recommend putting your dog there for the time being. This will reduce her anxiety as she will be less able to hear the thunder. Have I been able to answer your question satisfactorily?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ellie
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

I noticed that you have not yet responded to my last message or accepted the answer I gave. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition in more detail please feel free to let me know.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have additional questions, concerns or need more clarification, please feel free to ask me.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie