Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

He is a 12 year old American Pit Terrier who has been

Customer Question

He is a 12 year old American Pit Bull Terrier who has been sneezing recently, vomited a lot 2 days ago, not fully digested kibble about 10 hours after eating, seems a little lethargic. I fed him some treats a few minutes ago and he vomited after.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the American pit bull terrier?
Customer: he has lumps on his body but I don't think any are new or have shown rapid growth
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He spends time in a yard with a plum tree and eats the plums from the ground sometimes, possibly with the pit.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is drinking water normally.
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

How is he acting other than the sneezing and vomiting?

Is his belly hard to the touch or soft?

Has he been urinating/defecating normally?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is a little lethargic. He has always been a high energy dog but is slowing down a bit with age, but today he seems to want to lay around a little more than usual. As I was typing he just perked up a little, licked the floor and went outside. He has enough energy to bark at passersby.His belly feels a little firm but not super hard.I'm not completely sure about his "bathroom" habits because he goes in a fenced yard without supervision most of the time when he wants to go out.Another note about him, he has always been a puker and would regurgitate undigested kibble, but hadn't really been doing that recently and then the night I referred to in the original question he vomited two large piles.
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

And just so I'm sure I'm on the right path...he only vomited once today?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That I'm aware of. It was in 2 separate little foamy piles within a few feat of each other. I forgot to mention, his appetite seems a bit decreased the past few days as well.
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Because this has only been going on for a very short amount of time, and since from your answers, we can rule out things like ingestion of a toxin, intestinal obstruction due to eating something non-food, and pancreatitis from eating greasy people food, I think we should just treat it like a case of simple digestive upset.

The gold standard for treatment of digestive upset in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast him for 24 hours (providing he doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require he eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1-2 tablespoons every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the vomit, starts having bloody diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have him seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection, but as a general rule, this clears up with just the fasting and then bland diet.

I hope this helps.