Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My senior dog (not sure exact age - she is a rescue) was

Customer Question

My senior dog (not sure exact age - she is a rescue) was just diagnosed with lymphoma. She has multiple tumors on her neck (both sides) - not sure about groin area. She has has an advanced heart murmur (although the she has no symptoms which contumuosly amaze the vets - we went ahead and put her on Vetmedin and enalipril). My vet is going to refer us to a specialist, but I can tell that my general vet doesn't recommend treatment...I am a mess and don't know what to do....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so sorry to hear you received this news. However, lymphoma is one of our few types of cancer that does respond reasonably well to chemotherapy (as directed by an oncologist) with a good chance for remission. The heart murmur is something we see as a common age-related change and is not a deterrent to treatment. There may be some drugs we would not choose to use because of this. I am sure the oncologist would have her heart further evaluated (either with the cardiologist or at least to have an echocardiogram) to know if she really is in need of the medications that were prescribed. If she is otherwise reasonably healthy, eating and happy as most dogs with lymphoma are in the beginning, then I highly advocate take that referral to the oncologist and go chat.

There is no holistic treatment that will work to treat this. Holistics, though, are useful to maintain gastrointestinal health and maybe manage some of the syndromes that accompany the cancer. They could make her feel better and are a great addition to standard care. Her best bet would be chemotherapy. There are so many different chemo protocols for this type of cancer that I could not guess on side effects or outlook. This is why the oncologist must be involved. Costs can be moderate when we are talking chemo. Sometimes radiation therapy may be advocated for this cancer as well, and that will add additional cost. But for the exact statistics on outlook with treatment, it depends on the protocol the oncologist desires to use and an evaluation of what stage of disease she is in.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.