Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Dog ate aprox. 2 cups of trail mix 2 nights ago. (saturday

Customer Question

dog ate aprox. 2 cups of trail mix 2 nights ago. (saturday night at 8:00pm-ish). that night she threw up 2 small piles. the next day she dud great but pooped A LOT- 4 huge piles filled with nuts. her personality seems fjne and she is playjng. HOWEVER, at 4am monday mornjng she threw up AGAIN
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gypsy-3 years old-78 pounds
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gypsy?
Customer: after runnjng around in the yard yesterday shd threw up some of her dinner but ut was hot outside and shecwas overworked. nothing has changed besides her vomiting 3 times very small amounts and her stool is solic with tons of nuts in it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did the trail mix have raisins? What nuts?

Can she keep water down? Has she been drinking more?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Has she been passing more urine or watery urine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my dog is a 77 pound yellow lab. the trail mix had some rsisins and chocolate. i dont know how much, prob 20 raisins and 20 chocolate small morsels. she drank a few MORE laps of water on saturday night (the first night) no, i havent noticed an increase in water intake at all. she isn't lethargic. her guma are pink and cool and moist. i looked at her puke tonight and its about 3 tablespoons of yellow with no food in it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she doesnt seem to be in pain of any kind when i push on her stomache. she is shy when i touch her stomache but she is always like that. it doesnt seem to be bloated. so it monday morning (5:00am eastern time) and she ate the trail mix saturday night at 8:00pm
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i can't see her urine, but i dot think she is passing anymore than usual. both my dogs (sisters from same litter) pee approx 5 times a day.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she has pooped A LOT. the trail mix had sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, some cashews, somw dried blueberries, cranberries (some raisins and chocolate but NOT a whole lot)
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
all of her poo is just filled with nuts.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she is acting pretty normal though. wanting to play. bugging me to pet her, begging for table scraps. the only weird thing is the last 2 nights she has vomited. the girst night had food in it.......(then she vomited up clear liquid and her meal after she ran yesterday only maybe 10 pieces of kibble surrounded by clear goo) then she gagged tonight and threw up a few teaspoons of yellow liquid
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

First, chocolate can cause the GI upset signs we are seeing, but its the raisins that are the main worry. They are quite toxic to dogs and known to damage the kidneys. And frustratingly, since researchers have not discovered the toxin in raisins, we can't know how many will cause harm. So, its good that she hasn't any water or urine changes now but do keep an eye on that for her +/- have a urine sample checked to make sure her kidneys are working as they should.

Otherwise, we do want to take some steps to counter the GI upset for her. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. You can even add canned pumpkin to these meals to push the nuts through and help keep her stools normal. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, we need to tread with care here. So, keep a close eye on her thirst and urination at this point. And do use the above to soothe her stomach. As long as she settles, we are happy, but if her signs persist overt the next 12-24 hours or we see those other ones; then we'd want a check with her vet. They can assess her hydration, test her urine, and start injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- fluids if needed to settle her stomach after her trail mix misadventure.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much! i will watch her every move and switch to the chicken/rice diet you suggest. i will text you with updates
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?