Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog threw up in the middle of, her deep sleep( she was

Customer Question

My dog threw up in the middle of
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: her deep sleep( she was sleeping upside down) and awoke us in a frenzy of reverse sneezing. We were able to get her to calm down and she seems to be breathing ok now but I just want to make sure she is ok
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is a 12 1/2 year old, very healthy Yorkie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?
Customer: Not really...she just had a checkup 3 weeks ago and was super healthy. She has a history of reverse sneezing, but nothing like what just happened
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now as long as she breathing fine and the irritation from the vomit is abating in the back of her nasal passage, then we'd not be alarmed here. Often if they vomit in an odd position or have a bit of reflux, this can lead to the material accessing that sensitive region where the nose and throat connect. If those signs had persisted, then we may have needed to have her seen for oxygen +/- anti-inflammatories and nasal flushing.

Still, if she is comfortable now, we'd just want to monitor. As well, any more signs of nausea and we can use an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ for her. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in, result in less GI upset and thus less vomiting leading to what we have seen here. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, we do need to keep an eye on CoCo if she has vomited unexpectedly. Though since she has calmed from that irritation just now, we'd just want to monitor and use the above to prevent any more episodes for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please do rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm just concerned that she had vomit in her lungs. She is breathing and seems to be sleepy/comfortable, however, every couple of breathes, she has a breath that is rattling. How do I insure that she isn't "dry drowning"?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

If she had a reverse sneezing episode, this doesn't suggest lung involvement. We'd have expected coughing but most importantly breathing changes. So, if you hear a rattle then you may want her vet to listen to her lungs as soon as they open but any "dry drowning" will be causing respiratory changes and distress. So, if we aren't seeing that then its unlikely it has gotten into the lungs.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
Hi Rachel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?