Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My dog yesterday started bumping things and was blinking a

Customer Question

My dog yesterday started bumping things and was blinking a lot then today when I get home from work seems to be completely blind
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She had diarehha for 24 hours prior to this but the day after was acting fine.. she is eating and drinking normal
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that yiur grl was blinking a lot and bumping into things yesterday and today seems to be completely blind.

I highly recommend that she see her veterinarian as soon as possible. In some cases of sudden blindness with prompt treatment we can help them regain some vision.
Causes of sudden blindness that can be treatable include retinal bleeds or detachment, which can be due to hypertension, uveitis/optic neuritis, cataracts, and glaucoma.
Other causes of blindness that unfortunately are not reversible include sudden acquired retinal degeneration, and undiagnosed progressive retinal atrophy.
A brain mass or bleeding can also cause blindness which may or may not be reversible depending upon the ability to treat the primary problem.

Without an examination and some tests, including checking her eye pressures, and dilating her pupils to evaluate her retinas it will be very hard to know why she is the way she is and her prognosis. I cannot say if her diarrhea before this started is related, although that seems unlikely. Rarely systemic infections can cause blindness, but that is less likely.
Best of luck with your pup, please have him examined promptly.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****