Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dog, a 13 yr old Queensland Healer, suddenly began having

Customer Question

My dog, a 13 yr old Queensland Healer, suddenly began having spasms in his back legs....uncontrollable kicking. It is Sunday & I can't reach a vet, so just wondering if there is an immediate crisis? I gave him some aspirin in a treat & it settled him down a little. He is unable to stand without his legs slipping out from under him. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Jack. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

He may have a bulging or inflamed disc in his back, putting pressure on the nerves in his spinal cord. How much does he weigh, and how much aspirin did you give him? I am glad the aspirin helped; I would have recommended it until you could get him to a veterinarian.

I would keep him as quiet as possible, bring food and water to him and carry him out to eliminate. The aspirin can be repeated every 12 hours if it does not make him vomit: 1 baby or low dose aspirin per 15 to 20 pounds, with food. You can give 1 regular 325 mg aspirin to a 70 pound dog.

Please let me know how he is doing and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you. How is Jack doing?