Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I just got a 4 month old pit puppy he really hasn't eating

Customer Question

I just got a 4 month old pit bull puppy he really hasn't eating much changed food to dry wet see if would eat , ate good last night and playful still has loose stool and not eatingūüėĮ
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your new adoption has loose stools. It is common with stress with a transition in diet and/ or environment to have loose stools and reduced appetite. Hopefully he is current on his vaccinations (done at 8, 12, 16 weeks) and there is no need to be concerned about parvo as Pits are higher risk and ensuring he has been dewormed.

I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with his digestive tract but diarrhea can progress to issues such as vomiting, blood in the stools, weight loss

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken which is palatable yet bland at the same time
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools
- If you are able to get him to continue playing his appetite should rebound with the above

If there develops any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Hi Edgar Alvirez,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruger. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman