Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience providing medical care for dogs
64354720

I just fed my dog and now he wont stop licking s toungue and

Customer Question

I just fed my dog and now he wont stop licking his toungue and when he gags he foams a little. Whats wrong?!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to answer your questions tonight

Excessive lip licking and gagging up small amounts of foam are indicators that Tucker is nauseous. Could he have gotten into something that could make him sick to his stomach? Has he been feeling OK lately? Has he ever done this before?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you!! He's my baby and i want ro make sure he's ok!
He's been trying to gag something up it looks like, but he's still active. He's not laying lethargic like. He hasn't done this before. He felt totally fine and very normal until I noticed him gaging after he ate about 20 minutes ago
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His food bowl is next to the bathroom, and I noticed some hair around it afterwards... Do you think it could be that? I've tried to look down and I dont see anything.

No plants chewed up? Some houseplants are irritating, as well as plants/ leaves in the yard. How about sticks?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, he hasn't been outside much all day except to go to the bathroom.

I don't think a little hair would be the problem. So he is able to drink water and swallow food normally?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've tried to get him to drink some water, and he has a little. I also tried to feed him more food to see if swallowing more might help. Can you give the hHeimlich to dogs?

When we see a young dog suddenly gagging and nauseous, it usually is because they chewed on something silly. Since he is breathing normally and able to drink and swallow I doubt he has something stuck in his throat and would need a heimlich.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, well that makes me feel a little better. What do you suggest I do?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you think this is life or death?

In most cases like this, the best thing is to not feed for the rest of the night but offer water. As long as he can breath normally and swallow water you should be OK to give it a little "tincture of time"

Is he still drooling/gagging right now or has he calmed down?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He's not been foaming for a while now, but jes still bobing his head and licking. Could it be hiccups? I just thought of that.

Hiccups pretty much look the same in people and dogs. If he is bobbing his head up and down and licking constantly I wonder if he could have something stuck in his mouth rather than in his throat. Sometimes a piece of a stick or something similar can get caught between the teeth. Will he let you look in his mouth without you getting bitten by accident?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I already have and I wasn't able to see anything. I tried to dig something out of his throat potentially and nothing came out except a small piece of grass.

If he ate some grass perhaps he ate a leaf or a bug or something else that has given him a sore throat or upset stomach?

Is he still head bobbing and licking?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah, he is. That could be.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He just caughed up a small hair ball and some foam! Hopefully that was it!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Although, now he's still acting the same way...

A hairball? Not real common but good news. That could be the issue, but if he is still head bobbing and licking after bringing it up he could have more in his stomach or something in his mouth you can't see ( sometimes it tough to tell)

I don't want to over react but if he is still in distress, you may want to have him seen and find out what is going on.

Is your Vet available for an after hours phone call/exam?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, thank you for your help. No, we tried to call him before we did this chat thing.

Then perhaps a trip to an emergency clinic is in order, just for piece of mind?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. I'll check into it. Thank you!

I hope Tucker is OK. You are quite welcome. If possible, please let me know how he does. I will be thinking about him. Good Luck. Dr. Gregg

Any further questions I can help with?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He just coughed up another (bigger) hairball. He's acting much more normal now! Phew! I was nervous!

Wow, that's great. Did it look like his fur?

Has he been over grooming himself or do we have a dog with a taste for hair? He couldn't have eaten something dead he found outside, right. You said he really did not have an opportunity to. Either way, I'm glad he is doing better. He had me a little worried for a time

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He has been over grooming himself, but this was definitely human hair. This is also the first time this has happened... And hopefully the last! ����

I'm with you. Best of luck. Dr. Gregg