petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

Not sure...she was fine last night, then at 5:30 this am she

Customer Question

Not sure...she was fine last night, then at 5:30 this am she threw up lots of dogfood (Natural Balance Venison/sweet potato), then a few mins later, just bile. She has tried several times (12?) to poop, but just a clear liquid, then a bit of watery poo, comes out. Literally, just drops, not totalling more than about a teaspoon.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: That's the problem-- we went for a walk late last night. She was on a leash, and we don't recall her being distracted by anything but we were 3 people having a lively conversation, so she might have nibbled something. She took our usual walk this am, but she is listless.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: That's another bit of a problem-- she's a foster rescue we've had for 10 days. When we got her they said she was a 1 year old pregnant wheaton/welsh terrier sort of thing. I don't think she's pregnant though...more like recently pregnant-- large teats, slightly engorged vulva...her waist is tiny; her tummy is soft, she hasn't eaten more than about a 1/2 can of high quality wet + 1/2 cup kibble daily.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about That?
Customer: for the first 40 hours we had her, she did not eliminate at all. then one day of relativley hard log stool, then 5 days of regular, healthy looking stool. Then this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

What it sounds like you are describing is colitis or inflammation of the large bowel. The signs can be very intermittent and can vary in severity, from normal stools to mushy to very soft, all even within one day at times. Seeing mucus or blood is not unusual as well in some cases. There can be a sense of urgency to move their bowels and many of the pets will strain when having a BM or appearing to try to pass stool, which to the owner can almost look like they are constipated. Many pets with colitis have GI discomfort and some will even vomit.

Colitis can have many causes including intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, food allergies or intolerances, metabolic disturbances from internal organ malfunctions, viruses, toxins, cancer or even stress. If it continues, your veterinarian will want to know the history of her signs and will need to perform a physical exam to help rule out the causes mentioned. They may perhaps suggest a change in diet or medications. Make sure they also perform a rectal exam to evaluate her anal glands. A stool sample analysis is a very important part of getting to the bottom of this as intestinal parasites are one of the most common causes.

Until you can get in contact with your vet, I would fast her to give her GI system a rest. Since she is an adult dog, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt her and will let her gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean her back onto her normal food and feeding schedule.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?