Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Dog has hot spot on left leg. What can I do?

Customer Question

My dog Andy has had a hot spot on his left leg. It is starting to swell. He is 6 years old and gets hot spots during summer but not this bad.
It's been going on for about a week now. When I put a spray that I got from pet smart he tends to lick it. I'm really worried since his hot spots have never been this bad. The area is swollen but not bleeding.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.
It definitely does sound to me like it's a hot spot, which we see them most frequently in heavy coated dogs (Goldens and Labs are both famous for getting them), however any breed of dog can get one. If you are able to, clip the hair around the hot spot so that you are able to see what you're working with better. Scrub it twice daily with a mild antibacterial soap. Leave the soap on for about 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly and dry the area. You can apply a topical antibiotic cream containing hydrocortisone to the hot spot 2- 3 times a day. It's very important that you keep him from scratching at the area, as this will delay healing and most likely cause infection.
If this therapy doesn't result in any improvements in the next 2- 3 days, you'll need to contact your vet, have him checked out, and probably start oral antibiotics. If the hot spot is very oozy, bleeding a lot, or has lots of pus associated with it, he needs to be seen as soon as possible.