Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a dog called Winnie she is 17 she is blind and deaf

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** have a dog called Winnie she is 17 she is blind and deaf she will not eat food and she is being sick all day what can I do to help her ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question Mandy. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Besides being blind and deaf any other pre existing medical conditions?

2- Did she eat anything out of the ordinary?

3- How often is she vomiting?

4- How long since the last time she vomited?

5- How much does she weigh?

6- Is she currently on any medications?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No medial conditions she has not
Eat anything out of ordinary she was sick about 15 minutes ago she is very skinny not on medication she has been sick about 5 times today

Mandy, please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Mandy, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that Winnie is an older dog it is important to rule out systemic diseases like: Kidney, liver, tumors, hormonal disorders, etc. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need to be seen by family veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work and urinalysis as initial screening test. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry had to have her put down her liver had stopped working

Oh my, I am sorry to learn she was put down. I know how difficult this must be for you. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

Dr. Peter