Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog had shots yesterday she is 22 months old. today she

Customer Question

my dog had shots yesterday she is 22 months old. today she will not eat or drink. She has an appointment Monday 7/25/16 with her vet. is there anything that can be done for her today?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Well, within 24 hours of vaccination, it wouldn't be atypical for there to be a decrease in appetite. But, I am bothered that she is refusing to drink.

If you can take her temperature ideally using a digital thermometer and doing it rectally, anything over 103.0 would warrant a more immediate vet examination.

Also, double check the skin to ensure there are no hives or welts on the body.

Of course, the loss of appetite and thirst may not even be related to the vaccines at all, so close observation is warranted.

To try and stimulate thirst you can try giving gatorade, pedialyte, or even adding some canned tuna water to the water (change frequently as it will spoil).

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.
Hi Lisa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mallie. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I hope everything is going okay?