Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Can you give a constipated dog Miralax?

Customer Question

Can you give a dog Miralax? I think my dog is constipated. He is straining to go and he has had a little mucus come out. His name is Gordon and he is 11 years old. He is usually pretty active. I have walked him a bit but it is extremely hot so didn’t walk very long.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.
With straining and mucus it sounds more like colitis and spasms of the gut versus constipation. I can give you some basic guidelines but if this is not subsiding or he begins to have straining with blood then please consider a veterinary ER today
- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach
- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the GI contractions to subside that are causing the straining
- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting
- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing GI spasms, nausea, and straining to defecate as he is doing
Indications of cause for concern:
- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally 103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress
To answer your first question, in chronic constipation cases yes we can use miralax to reduce risk of constipation long term