petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

Pool of blood in s bed a week ago (size of a silver dollar),

Customer Question

pool of blood in his bed a week ago (size of a silver dollar), then next day stool was totally black.
then a week with regular colored stool, but runny yesterday afternoon - after 2 regular bowel movements.
This morning I woke up and found him on our bed licking at his penis. His underside wet with blood, our sheets soaked thru as well.
Penis is swollen and extended - has receded a bit. I just took him for a walk, he was able to urinate, his stool was runny and black as tar.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

This definitely sounds like something that needs to be addressed by a veterinarian in person and not something that can be treated at home, without a veterinarian's intervention. It sounds as if he may be experiencing GI bleeding and perhaps even more. GI bleeding can occur if there is ulceration of the lining if the stomach or intestine. We can also see bleeding in cases of clotting abnormalities and/or immune mediated disorders. All of these can be serious if left untreated as the pet can lose a significant amount of blood. I would urge you to seek a veterinarian today for a physical exam and evaluation.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have a vet for him - his shots are up to date, he's never been sick. In this county they have a law that male dogs must be neutered if over 6 months old. will the Vet be obligated to report this? He has not been neutered.
He keeps wanting to lick his penis as well.
Expert:  petdrz replied 8 months ago.

If you don't have a vet, now would be a good time to establish one. I am not sure why he would be licking his penis. It could be irritated if he was laying in a pool of blood or other fluid. It is also possible that he could be bleeding there as well. When there are clotting problems, we will sometimes see bleeding from multiple sites.

As far as the reporting, I don't know what to tell you, but I am quite sure that no veterinarian would insist that you have him neutered in his current condition until what ever is wrong is identified and hopefully treated.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
his penis is red and swollen and won't retract. I did not show blood from his anus last week or this morning.
but tar black runny stool - is worrisome as well, I'd say.
Expert:  petdrz replied 8 months ago.

The black tarry stool can be a sign if internal bleeding, so even if not seeing it come form the anus directly, seeing black stool is indeed worrisome and should be addressed.

A swollen penis that is not retracting is a condition known as prispism and should be treated as an emergency. It is no wonder he is licking it as it is surely uncomfortable. If the blood supply to the penis becomes compromised due to the swelling, the tissue can become irreversibly damaged. You need to seek a vet right away. In the meantime, cool compresses to that penis and lubricate generously with a water based lubricant like KY gel.

Here is a link with more information about that condition. LINK HERE

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
his penis has relaxed on its own and retracted. I will get an appointment with a Vet tomorrow (difficult on a Sunday).
Expert:  petdrz replied 8 months ago.

Great news. Good luck and please keep me posted as to how things progress for him.