Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog (Star) is panting shallowly and fast. her belly

Customer Question

My dog (Star) is panting shallowly and fast. her belly appears to be bloated some and is in some distress and discomfort. I'm taking her to her Vet tomorrow, but is there anything I can do today to make this easier for her. She's had a normal amount of water (actually, She's vacated a normal amount of pee). She has eaten about 25% of normal for the last 3-4 days. She is 11 years old and at about 5 yo she had a benign tumor (small). About 6yo she had a severe urinary tract infection and was operated on then also.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Star's situation. Do her gums look pink? How fast is she panting? How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her gums are +- normal. They 've always been pink with black patches. Now they are not as bright. More of a red than pink.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her panting is 3 a min. This started sometime during the day yesterday.

Do you feel that her panting is causing her distress? Can she actually sleep? How long again has the panting been going on? The reason I ask is that panting could indicate distress. If she's not able to get comfortable, then this could be an emergency. Could the panting and being bloated be due to fluid in her belly? Could it be from something else?

I'm sorry, I'm not set up to field a call at this time. If you like, I can continue by these means.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is ok by me.

Ok. As far as what can you do at home till she get gets to your vet's office - honestly, the best thing is going to be getting her there as soon as possible. They can then evaluate her, do some blood work and most likely take some x-rays of her abdomen. As far as at home, the best there is to have her in a cool area where she can just rest and have minimal stimulation that may stress her body. Having food and water readily available is also a good thing. If she starts to breath with increased effort and not being able to rest, then her situation is getting more critical.