Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

20lb dog ate small strip of gooey fipronil concentrated at

Customer Question

20lb dog ate small strip of gooey fipronil concentrated at 0.01%
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max - 7yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: No. Very active dog and has eaten a pound of chocolate covered espresso beans before and was totally fine. Must have a strong atomach
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many grams or ounces was the trap?

2- Did he also eat the plastic?

3- Any symptoms?

4- How long since he ate it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Looks like about an ounce. I don't have the original packaging. The strip is as long as my pinkie finger and thinner than my finger. Again, looks like an ounce. He did not eat plastic. No symptoms but it just happened maybe 3 or 4 minutes ago. Again, he seems to have a strong stomach usually

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I don't think so. We used to :-/

Friend, fipronil has a wide safety margin in dogs. fact this is the active ingredient used in Frontline. The roach bait generally is much less. Generally when ingested symptoms are very mild like vomiting. I don't believe this will be life threatening for Max. I would keep an eye on him, if he develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors when fasting in a cool room and no exercise.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he would need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.