Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I've a 10 year old dog Charlie he has a suspected rupture

Customer Question

Hi I've a 10 year old dog Charlie he has a suspected rupture cruciate in his back leg and his other leg seems sore he is 47 kilo I've been quoted 1k for the operation would he be fit enough for this please help as he is family pet and don't want to give up on him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Charlie's condition. This is not unusual at his age and being a large dog. Your vet will have to run blood work and other tests to be sure he can handle the anesthesia and if his body is strong enough to go through the post op period. It is hard for me to tell you if Charlie would be able to handle this but as long as the blod work and EKG and xrays are fairly normal, this will give him many more years being pain free. If left untreated, he will always be in pain. Your vet may need to do both joints and some will do both at the same time or one at a time but that depends on his test results and how your vet feels about how strong Charlie will be.

I would certainly have this done....even if this gives Charlie only a few years without pain, it is worth it for his quality of life.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you would he need to loose weight before op he is in pain would like this done asap