Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Recently I noticed a small black area on my pug's back, near

Customer Question

Recently I noticed a small black area on my pug's back, near her tail. She's also licking one paw a lot.
She has been scraping her bottom on the carpet a lot, and this has been going on for months. We've had her anals expressed and wash her bottom in between baths.
The black area is a recent thing; at least, only discovered recently.
She's current on hydroxyzine pam and deramaxx, prescribed by a vet on 7/12. The black area I only discovered about 4 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is a typical area for an allergic reaction that is causing your sweet Porto to scratch this area so the pigment changes to black. You are treating with an anti histamine but this is not working well. The best way to treat this, which is called a "hot spot" is to apply a cortisone creme to this area after clipping away all of the fur. This will help keep Porto from irritating this area since the more he licks at this, the worse it gets and cannot heal. You may want to place an Elizabethan Collar on Porto, available at the pet store, to keep her away from this area to allow this to heal. I also apply Betadine to this area along with the Cortaid which will dry out this area so the bacteria cannot grow there.

This irritation on Porto's rear may be the same thing and you will need to use the Cortisone creme and try to keep Porto away from this area so it can heal.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****