Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

He ate a bunch off shelled pistacchios and is now having

Customer Question

He ate a bunch off shelled pistacchios and is now having runny diarrhea. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A dog
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Boscoe between 1-2 approx
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He's been having diarrhea for about 20 hours now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any other symptoms besides the diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just the diarrhea

Friend, the concern is if a shell becomes obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. However, it is likely that he will be able to pass them in the stool. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Stopping the diarrhea with medication is not a good idea as the body is trying to get rid of the shells with the diarrhea.

2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.