Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog Bronzo started her periods one month back.still she

Customer Question

my dog Bronzo started her periods one month back.still she is bleeding heavily,red color blood. she is 6 yrs old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bronzo?
Customer: we are thinking to get her uterus removed,is it ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 6 year old girl Bronzo who only seems to have started her 'heats' in the last month or so. As Bronzo hasn't been spayed (desexed), it is most likely that she has been having heats all this time, but that they weren't very obvious. The bleeding you are seeing now could either be from a more active heat, or there could potentially be something else going on here such as a polyp or even a tumor. Regardless of the cause of the bleeding and whether this is a 'normal heat' or an active bleed from a uterine mass or polyp, the next best step here would be to have her spayed (ie - to have her ovaries and uterus removed). Here the vet can assess the uterus when it is removed and get an idea of whether it is normal and healthy, or whether there is another issue going on here.

If your girl is still losing a lot of blood, then it is important you get her seen today if you can. It could be that she is actively bleeding from a mass, that she has a clotting issue, or that there is another issue here entirely. Hopefully her red blood cells are at a normal level, and if a clotting test comes back with a normal result, then she can have the spay procedure any time now. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.