Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My golden retriever is itching terribly on s tummy, has

Customer Question

my golden retriever is itching terribly on his tummy, has licked so much it looks like it's about to bleed, is there some kind of ointment i can apply to help his discomfort?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now while you can use an OTC hydrocortisone cream or spray on small irritated areas, if BB is severely itchy all over you can also consider starting him on an antihistamine. These are not as strong as Prednisone but can reduce skin irritation for our pets. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight up to every 8 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Afterwards, bathing him in oatmeal based shampoo can also help reduce irritation and if he is scratching himself raw, consider putting a tshirt and boxers (turned backwards so there is a hole for his tail) to cover the area and keep self trauma to a minimum as we try to soothe his skin.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please do rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )