Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hi, I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you today. Was it a pill with Ivermectin in it?
The standard heartworm pill is dosed at 6 mcg/kg. Even in the sensitive, white footed herding dogs with the mdr1 gene mutation who are sensitive to ivermectin, the toxic dose is around 200mcg/kg, or 33 time the dose. You are well below that dose so you should be fine. If you were looking for signs of a toxicity it would be anxiousness, staggering and trembling and drooling. I think you should be fine.
As with anything, if you think something is wrong, give your vet a call but that dose should not hurt him.
Glad to help. Do you have any more questions? I would be happy to answer them. If not please accept my answer and have a good evening. Good luck with Jack. Dr. Gregg