Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Deb, We just got back from Paris and picked up our Lab this

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Deb, We just got back from Paris and picked up our Lab this morning. Nothing seemed to be wrong until I took him out so he could pee probably two hours after we picked him up at 1030. I always notice him peeing since he is suseptible to infections from mice in the local and my Vet told me to notice anything unusual in his urine. Well, since I have taken him out the last two times, he has had blood in his urine. The Kennel I take him to did not say anything about him having blood, so I thought he is alright. He also takes "epileptic" medication since he is prone to seizures about every 4 to 6 mo. Here in Germany, we have had a rash of people putting out poison within food for dogs - which is another concern. Finally. the last time I took him out - roughly 15 min ago he had globs of coagulated blood and blood in his urine. So, my question to you do you feel we should take him to the Veterinary Hospital in Vaihingen or wait until Monday thinking this will blow over. Final comment - the kennel I take him to doesn't give him a lot of water when he is there....kind of concerned about that too. Best, Richard
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: His normal food from Vet Concept.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He's just a little over 9 years...and he has been licking his penis quite a bit lately
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Can you tell me, please, if he's intact/not neutered? If so, such bleeding is usually due to acute prostatitis. There are anticoagulant rodenticides with which dogs are often poisoned but he wouldn't have access to such a poison in a kennel.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He has been neutered....
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The kennel takes the dogs on walkies that last an hour or so, in the forest behind the building. Also he has been listless ever since we brought him home - and his bowl movements have been small and loose.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's late here in Germany after midnight so I have to log off now....thank you for taking the time to give me an answer. Very respectfully, ***** *****

Thank you for the additional information. Please have his vet take a look at him at your earliest convenience. Hematuria (blood in the urine) indicates urinary tract infection, uroliths (urinary stones), and neoplasia - transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder or urethra and prostatic adenocarcinoma. Less commonly, a bleeding dyscrasia such as thrombocytopenia (decreased blood platelets) may exist. I would expect a complete blood count and urinalysis as well as either X-rays or, preferably, ultrasound of his urinary tract to be performed. His bowel movements aren't unexpected considering the stressors associated with boarding - a change in location, water and food, mainly. Please continue our conversation if you wish. I'll watch for your reply tomorrow.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much for your response - we just got back from seeing his vet - he conducted an ultrasound and feels it's not stones but coagulated blood in his bladder - he has given me. Weeks worth of antibiotics and will see him in a week. Thank you again for your response.

Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?