Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our mini-schnauzer (female, 4 years old) has been shaking

Customer Question

Our mini-schnauzer (female, 4 years old) has been shaking her head as if her ears are hurting her, can't keep still, running from room to room, scratching at carpet or afghan...what do you think could be wrong with her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Josie's distress with her ears. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If you look in her ears, do they appear red, or swollen? This is probably either an allergic reaction to something such as an insect bite or sting, or she has something down in her ears, such as a weed seed or tick. You can't see far into the ear without an otoscope; when you look in a dog's ear you are only seeing about 1/4th of the ear canal; we have to use an otoscope to look as far as the ear drum to be sure there is nothing down inside that needs to be removed.

Until you can get Josie to a vet and have her ears examined with a scope, you can try giving some Benedryl (what does she weigh? The dose is 1 mg per pound every 4 to 8 hours) and/or rubbing some steroid ointment (Cortaid, Cortizone 10) into the ears. If this does not help, she needs to have some one look in her ears down to the ear drum for something in there that is making her act like this.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.