Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Golden retriever developed slight limp yesterday, today very

Customer Question

Golden retriever developed slight limp yesterday, today very listless. Has good apitite, and nose is moist and cool.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Buddy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It is a good sign that his nose is moist and he has a good appetite. Still, can you take his temperature with a thermometer? That is the only way to be sure he does not have a fever.

Is the limp worse or better today? If you check his gums, are they bright pink in color or do they seem pale?

Listlessness and limping can be signs of tick disease such as Lyme disease or Ehrlichiosis. It can also be an infection in the leg, or pain. If I could, I would start with a thorough physical exam: feel his pulses, check his gums, take his temp, palpate lymph nodes and internal organs, feel every joint and muscle and bone in the lame leg, listen to him with a stethoscope.

If he is eating, and his limp gets worse, you could try aspirin. I need to know his weight to give you a safe dose.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Buddy weighs 72 pounds. I have low dose aspirin NSAID. How many and how often ?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Low dose aspirin is 81 mg. A 72 pound dog can take up to 320 mg of aspirin, that would be 4 low dose aspirin. I might start with 2 or 3, because some dogs vomit with aspirin. Give it with food, and if he vomits, do not repeat it. It can be repeated twice daily, with food.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you saw my response. How is Buddy doing? Can I answer any more of your questions?