Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Our 7 yr old 805 Lpd German short hair lab mix is lithargic,

Customer Question

Our 7 yr old 805 Lpd German short hair lab mix is lithargic, shivering, dry warm nose, eyes clear, tummy not hard but gurgling and has gas
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Skipper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Skipper?
Customer: day three he did
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oops 80 lb
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Eating but not much and not that dehydrated.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He's alert but tired
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 7 year old German short hair mix boy. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Great, thank you.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Skipper today and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if these symptoms continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local vet today. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check him over straight away.

For now, make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

Please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As his stomach is gurgling, it is quite possible that Skipper is nauseous. As such, you may want to try your boy with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Skipper and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next couple of hours. If he seems distressed, bloated, or if any of the parameters above aren't right - do get him seen by your local vet or ER vet today. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.