Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 8 year old mixed breed, Abby, has cancer and is at the

Customer Question

Our 8 year old mixed breed, Abby, has cancer and is at the end of her life. Her vet prescribed pain medicine - Rimadyl and Tramadol. As of yesterday, Abby is not eating and I believe the vet said Rimadyl has to be taken on a full stomach or it can cause painful stomach reaction. Is that true? We are calling the vet today for Abby but she needs something now and I don't want to make her feel worse.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello Brenda,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Brenda

So sorry to hear about Abby's condition, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Rimadyl is in a class of drug called a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug { NSAID } and yes these can be very harsh on the stomach so it is best not to give it on an empty stomach. Tramadol on the other hand should be just fine on an empty stomach and this is a far more superior pain killer compared to Rimadyl.

2. Follow this link for more information on how Tramadol is used in dogs including dose rates : LINK

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Abby's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Abby is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the painkillers ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.