Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Chihuahua is nearly 15 yrs but has a diarrhea since

Customer Question

My Chihuahua is nearly 15 yrs but has a diarrhea since yesterday and from a couple of hours ago can not stand up and seams bloated
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Paquita
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Paquita?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What did the diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Can Paquita move her back legs on her own?

Does her belly feel hard or is it sore when you press?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Any chance she ate something harmful?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your answer
There's no blood
Today she walked a little bit but falls
Her gums are pink but has bad cavity
I have noticed that she ate a piece of spare ribs bone on monday. She took it from the garbage bin.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I will compose my thoughts on her signs, but since you noted a bone. Do you think she ate it whole or in bits?

Any bone material in her diarrhea or black material?

Any belly discomfort at all?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No pain in her belly but she's bloated. She urinated and also again she had some diarrhea. I have to pull her up for her to stand on her feet she will walk a few steps but falls again
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She ate small bite pieces if the bones. Her diarhea is brown colored. And no pieces
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Now I am quite concerned about your lass, but thankful that the bone bits were small and that there isn't any signs of gut bleeding (which can be bloody or black). Based on her signs, I do suspect we have a primary diarrhea but that her age and the nutrient/fluid loss with this is taking such a toll that she is weak and struggling to walk (as opposed to a spinal or direct limb issue), So, we do need to tread with care since our elderly pets are particularly sensitive to these conditions. Especially as the bloating could be due to gas in the gut from the abnormal bacteria that are causing the diarrhea but if this has been profuse there is worry that this could be fluid building up in her belly from the protein imbalances diarrhea can cause.

With that in mind, to start since she is weak and lethargic, we can try boosting her blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully perk her up for us.

From there, we can plan to start her on small meals of light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut leading to more nutrients in, and less diarrhea out. Further to this, you can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to help bulk up her stools and this will help with both diarrhea and pushing any bone bits through her gut.

Since dehydration is a risk for Paquita, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger these signs, but we do need to be careful since this sounds to be taking a real toll on Paquita. Therefore in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within the next 24 hours (since she is wee and this sounds to be taking a toll), then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is no bone material in her gut or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with fluids, antibiotics, and supportive care to counter this and get her settled before this can push her too far.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much.
I have an appointment with her vet at noon.
But I will do the best I can following your procedures.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a good plan of action. :)

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.