Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I just got m two days ago and today he sounds like he is

Customer Question

I just got him two days ago and today he sounds like he is wheezing and coughing a little bit like he has a hair ball
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maximus
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maximus?
Customer: He is a 3 month old Dachshund
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How is he otherwise? Still quite bright and happy? Any other symptoms of any sort no matter how minor?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is still bright happy playing he just sounds wheezy

Hello again

Thanks for the quick reply, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Having carefully read your question through I would not be at all surprised if Maximus has not contracted an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. Given his age group it may be best to have him checked over by a vet ASAP just in case prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be needed.

Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

This is a disease which vets will see quite a lot, we often have to explain the symptoms to clients :

1. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have - a bit like a seal honk!

2. The dog may sneeze a little but the cough is the main symptom, some dogs are quite bright and alert but others can be lethargic during the course of this disease.

3. The dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it will be productive, he will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once he has done this he will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough / retch which just keep happening.

4. It is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make your dog feel better very quickly. For this reason my advice would be to have your vet check your dog over at the next opportunity and of course this is a wise move as other diagnosis are possible in your pup's age group. Unfortunately there is very little you can do to make him more comfortable on a home remedy basis.

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Maximus's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Maximus is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect respiratory infection...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.