Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

Not sure which dog ate several 2.5 mg pills of vetmedin, I

Customer Question

Not sure which dog ate several 2.5 mg pills of vetmedin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I don't know which dog ate it. I have 6.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: One is a French bull dog, one a dachshund, one is a miniature
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

Pimobendan is fairly safe, but in higher than prescribed doses it can cause a rapid heart rate or low blood pressure. Most of the toxicity studies have involved longer term exposure but reportedly doses of 3 to 5 times the recommended dose caused non-clinical heart murmurs while higher doses were associated with an increased heart rate. Do you know know many pills are missing and the weights of the dogs that may have eaten it? If you can not determine which dog ate it, you can make them all vomit if the exposure was within the last 2-3 hours. This can be done by giving them 3-5 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. If they do not vomit, then you can either take them in to a vet who can give them an injection or just monitor them for signs of low blood pressure including lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, or an increased heart rate. You can take the heart rate by putting your hand on their chest (or feeling a pulse by putting your hand over the femoral artery at the junction where the leg meets the body and counting the number of beats or pulses in 1 minute. If is it less than 90-100 beats per minute, then the dog should be evaluated by an emergency veterinarian. A normal heart rate for a small dog is 110-120 at rest.

Hi Amy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie