Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 2 dogs were just diagnosed with acute hepatotoxic its. My

Customer Question

My 2 dogs were just diagnosed with acute hepatotoxic its. My 5 month old puppy Zoe died from it and low blood sugar. My 9 year old, freya, is at the animal hospital on supportive therapy and it looks like she is going to be ok. Her LFTs are coming down. I have looked all over our house and garage and don't want to think a neighbor could have poisoned them. They do get into the garbage from time to time but I just can't figure out how this happened. I can't find as much on the Internet either beside chemicals which are put away. Have you seen anything like this or have a list of substances that can cause this? Is a tox screen possible? I really don't want her to ever have to go through this again. We are heartbroken as we lost an older dog Isis in December to a brain tumor as well.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dogs. Have you seen mushrooms growing on your property? Their symptoms are consistent with hepatotoxic mushroom ingestion. Has testing for leptospirosis been performed? This infection is a consideration whenever acute hepatitis arises.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We haven't seen mushrooms and I will ask about the other. Are there any others that you can think of as well? I wish something just made sense to us about this
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is leptospirosis? And thank you for your concern

You're quite welcome. Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection usually contracted by ingesting stagnant water in which a small mammal had eliminated. In many parts of the country leptospirosis vaccine is given as a core vaccine. Your vet can tell you if leptospirosis is endemic where you live and whether or not your dogs were vaccinated against it.

Can you clarify "hepatotoxic its" for me, please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry it meant to say failure. I will ask about the vaccine. we live in easter central virginia

Ah! When two dogs in the household are in liver failure, an infection such as leptospirosis or intoxication by mushroom, drug, or chemical needs to be considered. A toxicology screen makes sense but difficult to have performed by our reference laboratories who rarely offer them and private labs rarely accept blood or tissue from non-human patients. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much your help and I will let you know how she does. Her enzymes have decreased today so hopefully she will be just fine. They are going to call us in the morning to let us know how she's doing

That's good to hear. I'll watch for your next post. Don't forget to ask about leptospirosis.