Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

When we came home today she was fine, 4 month old ShihPoo.

Customer Question

When we came home today she was fine, 4 month old ShihPoo. My husband let her out of her room to go potty and he picked her up and she peed on him and he instinctively dropped her. I think she may have hit her head or something because she was yelping very loud. We took her outside and she would just lay there. We gave her a bath and now she is not herself. She won't play which is not normal and she keeps puking up foam and mucous. She did drink water but it came up quick. Is it possible for her to have a concussion?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not really. She has been healthy and all her shots are up to date.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Yes, concussions (and worse) do occur in dogs and her nausea is pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of brain trauma when there's such a history as you provided. This is addressed with IV mannitol - a nondigestible sugar which acts as an osmotic agent to reduce swelling in brain tissue. Having an on-call vet perform a thorough physical exam on your ShihPoo at your earliest convenience would be prudent. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?