Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I'm watching my daughters dog. He ran in front of my bike

Customer Question

I'm watching my daughters dog. He ran in front of my bike and ripped his skin just above his paw. He is walking fine and there isn't much blood. He is licking pretty consistently. I'm wondering whether I need to get it stitched up. It is about the size of a dime.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Well if you want to be 100% certain you are doing the right thing then you should have your vet check your daughter's dog over ASAP, your vet will then assess things and may or may not stitch, sometimes such wounds are just cleaned and left to heal on their own.

2. That said in my experience small wounds in dogs of tend to close and heal very well on their own so many of my clients report success with treating small wounds of a home remedy basis by clipping the fur for about a half inch margin round the outside of the wound, then washing the area thoroughly with warm salt water and then applying the likes of Neosporin twice a day for a five days or so.

3. Of course if it starts to look infected you may need a course of antibiotics from your vet, however I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your daughter's dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his wound ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?