Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 8 month old puppy is house broken but at times when she

Customer Question

My 8 month old puppy is house broken but at times when she is sleeping she seems to pee, even is I have recently taken her out. It seems as if she just leaks. Is that normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

It isn't, no. An ectopic ureter - a ureter that doesn't enter the urinary bladder in the correct place - is an important concern in a dog such as she. We also see urinary incontinence due to infection at her age but I would expect to also see other signs of a urinary tract infection - stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine) and hematuria (blood in the urine). Her vet is likely to recommend a complete urinalysis and ultrasound of your corgi's urinary tract. Surgical intervention is necessary to correct an ectopic ureter.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.