Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 12 yr.old, 80lb. dog (Duke) went completely paralyzed

Customer Question

My 12 yr.old, 80lb. dog (Duke) went completely paralyzed for 2 weeks a couple of months ago. He is extremely sensitive to the touch on his hind area. He was treated with prednisone 20mg. then 10mg.& tramadol 100mg. for 2 weeks. I also got him 3 Chiropractic treatments. He did regain the use of his limbs & the ability to walk, much shorter distances. He is getting much stiffer & wobbly & is in Pain. I gave him 600mg. of Gabapentin last night (my father's prescription) I am out of Tramadol. I would like to treat him with Gabapentin/Tramadol combo for his chronic pain. What are Dr. Salkin's thoughts? And can he call the prescriptions into Costco?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is no wound
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about The?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

You can use Gabapentin and Tramadol together. Personally, though, I prefer to have an anti-inflammatory on board. I typically use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds like Rimadyl or Metacam.

When it comes to Gabapentin, I give it at a dose of 2.5-5 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours.

With Tramadol, I give a dose of 1-2.5 mg per lb every 6-12 hours.

We can't call in scripts for you, I'm sorry. The FDA requires a physical exam and client/ patient/ doctor relationship to prescribe.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry, but I'm not happy with this service. What is the point if you can't write prescriptions? That just makes me have to pay double for office visits. I think the $5 buck deposit is enough, since I'll have to take him to the vet & he'll do what he wants anyway.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that you misunderstood the service. It's for information and second opinions. It is not to take the place of a veterinary visit and legally we cannot write scripts from here.