Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog ate 4 mg nicotine lozenges not sure how many, gracie

Customer Question

my dog ate 4 mg nicotine lozenges not sure how many
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: gracie and she is 18 pounds
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about gracie?
Customer: no she is generally healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

16 mg of Nicotine is a pretty significant amount in a small dog like this. We can see vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors, salivation and excitation. I would treat fairly aggressively if it just happened within the last 2 hours.

First I would make her vomit. You could do this at home by giving 4 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide orally. I would then take her to a vet to give activated charcoal and monitor her +/- keeping her on IV fluids to flush this out. Any signs are treated symptomatically with muscle relaxants, Atropine, ect.

If it's been > 4 hours and you're not seeing any signs, then she likely didn't get into any or her body is processing it without issues. When we see signs, it's pretty quick- usually within 1-2 hours.