Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My male dog has lost 1/2 s weight, I stopped feeding m Table

Customer Question

My male dog has lost 1/2 his weight , I stopped feeding him
Table scrapp plus I changed my eating habit, so did he, the weight just falling off him
I'm worried , he's not eating, peeing every where, like he can't control his blatter
I started making him chicken and rice , got vitamins to mix in his food,
He started gaining weight , feeling better,
Now he has diarrhea so bad but is so raw and he's Hurtin
I've been putting Vaseline on it to help him so when he goes to the bathroom it what hurts so bad but its is not working I have an appointment with the vet they can't get me in so Monday I need to know something I can give for him to help him put on his raw butt so it doesn't hurt and he needs a bath badly but I know the waters going to sting him
Please help , I'm i'm desperate
Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your guy. This weight loss may be due to a medical condition and the diarrhea may also be due to a medical condition such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease or IBD. Any of these can cause weight loss so I am happy that you are taking your guy to your vet for testing to determine what is causing this so the correct treatment can be given. With the soreness on his rear, apply a cortisone ointment such as Cortaid that is available at the pharmacy over the counter, every 4-6 hrs. It will also help, as long as your guy is eating, to give aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs for the pain and discomfort that he is feeling now. Try to keep your guy from licking this area since that will make the irritation worse.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know excately what his weight is right now, and he's not eating anything
Since last night, yes miserable,
He needs a bath he's got diarrhea everywhere will that help his butt in water so it doesn't
Sting him , I need to know ,
Plus what else should I Feed him , he won't eat chicken and rice any more

It is important that you put the cortisone ointment on his rear...yes, this will coat his rear so you can bath your poor guy...

For now, fast him for 24 hrs and at the same time, give him Imodium AD at 0.1 mg per pound every 8 hrs for 1 day to see if this will help stop the diarrhea. feed him cottage cheese and rice or something with fiber such as canned pumpkin or bran flakes which will draw up some of the fluid. Good luck!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What a f**king joke you are , I had to put my dog down today
Your advice was. Ridiculous everything you described to him was for human consumption not dog
I'm so f**king furious right now,
You better not change my credit card for this bullshit,
You call your self a licensed veterinarian what a joke
You should be Bard
you have no business giving f**king advice on the f**king web
For animals

I am so sorry for your loss! I am also sorry that you feel the way you do...all I can do is give you advice based on what you are telling me. Without actually seeing your dog, it is hard for me to tell that things were so dire.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious guy!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta