Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog started having seizures a few months back. We took m

Customer Question

My dog started having seizures a few months back. We took him to the vet and was told basically there is really nothing to do for him unless his seizures are occurring daily. He has gone a mont without having seizures and this week he had at least 6 or 7 gran mal and he has not "snapped out of it". It's been close to 2 days and he doesn't know who he is or who we are. He isn't really eating and has started peeing and pooping in the house. When we take him outside he doesn't know what to do. We are very concerned since in the past he has gotten through the post-ictal period quickly....
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: My dog is 10 years old and has been in perfect health except for the intermittent seizures. Just a few weeks ago he was very frisky and happy...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your guy...something serious such as liver failure , infection such as Encephalitis or even a brain tumor or brain lesion is most likely the cause. This behavior that you describe is neurologic in nature and your vet will have to run a battery of tests to determine the cause for this and then how best to treat him. If this were Epilepsy, he would have come out of this. It appears that whatever is causing this in your dog is invasive and interfering with more and more portions of his brain. I am hoping that your vet can find something that would be treatable but it is time to take your guy to a veterinary Neurologist so they can determine the cause.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta