PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Dog has a reaction to Rimadyl. What do I do?

Customer Question

I am unable to get my dog Emelia to the vet and I believe she has had a reaction to rimadyl. She hasn't had any medication for 2 days but her tongue is still sore. She has arthritis and has had several past episodes of lameness without the vet figuring out why.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.
1) How much does Emma weigh?
2) When was she most recently given rimadyl?
3) How many milligrams and how often?
4) What symptoms are you seeing?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Emelia is 65 lbs, she hasn't had any for 2 1/2 days now and she was prescribed 75 mg/2 daily and only took it for less than a week (about 4 days total) She is eating and drinking but her tongue has a few sores, she is lame and a bit lethargic and has no fever.
Typically when we see reactions to rimadyl, we see GI concerns so I am worried there may be something else going on causing her tongue to be sore. The fact that she is eating and drinking well is a good sign.
I doubt there's much to be done from home because her symptoms are rather nonspecific, but I would certainly talk to your vet about switching medications if you think the rimadyl is at fault here. Other options exist including meloxicam, deramaxx, etc. On top of this, because she's also lame, it may be time to consider using pain medication for her in addition to the NSAIDs. Medications like tramadol, gabapentin and amantadine are often used in conjunction with NSAIDs to give dogs more relief of discomforts associated with arthritis.
If she is a younger dog and experiencing lameness, I would consider doing a tick panel if it has not already been done. Sometimes immune-mediated disorders are also to blame. If your vet is unable to diagnose the cause, it may be time to see a specialist.