Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog got into a half a bottle of wine tonight that

Customer Question

My dog got into a half a bottle of wine tonight that spilled. She's a yellow lab. She's asleep right now but I'm very worried about her. Her gums are still pink and I'm not sure what to do. Please help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much do you think she actually had?

Does she seem to be more lethargic? Any wobbling?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She had some wobbling and then passed out. She's moving her head and drinking water. She won't get up thought. I did give her some dog food right after it happened but I think she had gotten a lot due to me not paying attention.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now alcohol exposure in dogs is quite similar to what we see in people who have too much. Common signs are GI upset, wobbliness, lethargy, and sedation. We can see reduced breathing rates, liver damage, and comas but that would be with a very high dose and sounds less likely here.

Now in regards ***** ***** as long as her gums are pink, her breathing is normal, she isnt' vomiting (and risking aspiration of vomit into the lungs), and she isn't injuring herself when trying to move; we'd just want to let her sleep this off. You can offer water to help her flush this out quicker.

As well, if she will tolerate food you can offer rice (as it will absorb wine in the stomach) with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Furthermore, if the ingestion was less than 8 hours ago, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, the issues we see with wine ingestion in dogs is similar to what we see in people. As her signs sound mild, we can use supportive care while monitoring her closely. Of course, any of those more severe signs or if she isn't settling within 24 hours and we'd need to have her to her vet for IV fluids to flush this out quicker and get her over the wine's effects.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet