PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My Russel has a skin condition. He has been under treatment

Customer Question

My Jack Russel has a skin condition. He has been under treatment for a while now but it does not seem to help. He has had a range of injections, we bath him in F10 shampoo, he eat special food for skin conditions. He has even taken allergex.
What more can we possibly try?
It is extremely itchy, especially under his belly and feet. He bites and scratches all the time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Has a skin scrape been performed?
2) Have any antihistamines been tried?
3) What injections were given?

4) Do you have a picture of the skin to share?
5) Has anything helped him at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, herewith more info:1) Yes they have done that but could not find anything
2) No, just allergex
3) I am honestly not too sure. It was 4 injections over 4 weeks for skin problems.
4) Not at the moment, but you can't see anything, it is just pink from scratching, there is no flaking or anything like that. There is some hairloss but it is not so severe that it is patchy.
5) He had quite bad hairloss in the beginning on his head that has improved now in the last month, but he still scratches, so I honestly don't think anything we are doing is improving his condition.

Jana, thanks for your reply.

In young dogs, we always have to worry about mange, fleas, etc. If he's not already on a monthly prevention, I would urge you to start there. Something like advantage, advantix, frontline, revolution, comfortis, trifexis, etc.

The allergex is actually an antihistamine, but I wonder if a different option might be better for him. I would give Zyrtec a try and see how he does. This is available OTC in most areas. Dosing info here:

I would also talk to your vet about apoquel and atopica to see if either might be easily obtained in your area and used on Chase. He's rather young for allergies, but they can start at any age. Hopefully the Zyrtec helps, but if it doesn't the apoquel or atopica would be the next step. You may also want to see if there is a veterinary dermatologist in your area that can see him. Here's an example of a specialty clinic that may be close by: http://veterinary dermatologist south africa

Please let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in, Jana. How is Chase doing?