Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She ate a half package of chocolate optifast drink mix, Abby

Customer Question

She ate a half package of chocolate optifast drink mix
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Abby 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abby?
Customer: Lab 58 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian. I do apologize that your question was not answered before now, but different experts do come online at different times. Anyway, I have just come online, read about your situation and wanted to help.

Again I apologize that none of my colleagues were online when you posted your question, but I did want to send you a wee note about Abby. Generally speaking one package of this won't cause harm. The majority of ingredients are not of risk and the cocoa flavoring in these tends to be low enough a dose to only cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) is anything at all.

So, all you need to do is monitor her +/- offset any GI upset that may arise for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again we'd expect no major issues from her having half of this package.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )