How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ellie Your Own Question
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 304
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Ellie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

He ate almostui d3 pills. He weighs about 35 pounds. I'm

Customer Question

He ate almost(###) ###-####ui d3 pills. He weighs about 35 pounds. I'm trying to figure out if he's at toxic levels?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Almost 100 vitamin d3 5000 ui pills.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No. He's 11 and in otherwise good health weighs about 35 pounds. I'm just want to find out if this is a toxic amount.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I am a licensed veterinarian and from what you've told me I am very concerned about your dog ingesting a toxic amount. Based on the numbers you gave, I calculate that he ate about 0.8mg/kg. Current recommendations of animal poison control centers is to initiate decontamination when cholecalciferol dosages exceed 0.1 mg/kg, thus he is at 8 times the minimum dose that should be treated as an emergency. The first thing to do is to make him vomit. The best and more reliable way to do this is with an injection (apomorphine) that all emergency veterinarians carry. If you are not near an emergency veterinarian you can induce vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide prior to taking your dog in to be treated. Give 2-3 table spoons but if this does not cause vomiting, do not repeat this as it can be very irritating to the stomach and esophagus. The very best thing is to have an emergency veterinarian give your dog an injection. After that, they will usually given an anti=nausea medication and the give activated charcoal to absorb anything that has made it passed the stomach and into the intestines. The activated charcoal will help prevent absorption.

At this time, blood tests should also be performed to evaluate your dog's calcium level and kidney values. Vitamin d toxicosis causes hypercalcemia which can cause calcification of the internal organs most notably the kidneys resulting in kidney failure. If his calcium or kidney values are high, then in hospital treatment is recommended. Treatment for hypercalcemia includes IV fluids, medications that help lower the calcium level and monitoring of the calcium and kidney values. With the toxicity that your dog has experienced, the very best recommendation I can make is to take him to an emergency veterinarian right away, as he ingested a potentially life threatening dose. You can also call animal poison control(###) ###-#### ***** get specific treatment recommendations- they will open a case for you and your veterinarian can call to discuss the recommendations and get help and guidance with his care during treatment. There is a fee for this, however. If you have further questions about your dog, I am happy to answer them to the best of my ability. If I have answered your question satisfactorily, I appreciate a positive rating as this is the only way I can get credit for my time.

Best wishes!

Dr. Ellie

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dr. Ellie, thanks for your reply.
We had already taken him to the emergency vet prior to my question. They induced vomiting within about one hour of the incident. Blood work has been done. He has also been on I.V. fluids. While his calcium levels are slightly elevated I am supposed to pick him up later this afternoon. With follow-up blood work to continue over the weekend. While we're not out of the woods yet it looks like we got lucky.
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

Im glad to hear that your dog has received emergency treatment. I hope the he is ok.