Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog’s face is swollen and she rubs her ears and face.

Customer Question

I have a basset hound and her face is swollen and she rubs her ears and face. Her name is Droopy and she is 10 years old. She visited a vet we don't normally see. She prescribed ear meds and a form of clavamox for her mouth about 10 days ago. It is still swollen but not as much and seems like the other side of her face is swollen a little now also.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

It sounds as if you're describing a hypersensitivity reaction rather than infection. This would be best addressed with a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone rather than an antibiotic similar to Clavamox. Can you upload a photo(s) of Droopy's face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have 2 if I did this right .... The inside of her bottom gum is swollen but she won't let me open her mouth. She is still eating / drinking / using the bathroom normal

Thank you. I can see the swelling involving the right commissure of her mouth but I would need to look inside her mouth to know what it represents. I can't evaluate the left side of her mouth in these photos. If you haven't seen a response to a systemic antibiotic, these areas needs to be rechecked. Dental disease/gingivitis/periodontitis would be important differential diagnoses if both sides of her mandibular dental arcades are involved. I don't see evidence of a hypersensitivity reaction which would be unlikely to persist for 10 days in any event. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I took a few more - she opened up ... Can you give me your opinion on these ? She has a follow up appt. on Monday . Thanks !

Thank you. Well done! I don't like the looks of that area. There appears to be a neoplastic (cancerous) process between her mandibular dental arcade and her lip. Dental disease as mentioned above is a consideration but isn't expected to cause such diffuse and extensive inflammation. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks ... I guess we will wait and see what happens Monday